SIU: Global Health Conference 2017: One World, One Health
The SIU Global Health Conference 2017: One World, One Health will be presented on Thursday, October 19th in the M.G. Nelson Family Auditorium. Opening remarks will begin at 9:00 a.m. from Dr. Jerry Kruse, MD, Dean, SIU SChool of Medicine, and the conference will conclude with a Q&A Panel and discussion a approximately 2:10 p.m. Topics included throughout the day will be:
• Planned and Unplanned Disaster Relief: An International Perspective
• Global Health Outreach with Medical Students: Where We Have Been and Where We Are Going
• UIS Public Health Students' International Program
• Graduate and Postgraduate Educational Strategies in Global Health: Focusing on Development and Sustainability
• Providing Rich Clinical Experiences for U.S. Medical Students and Doctors in Rural Ghana
• The Challenges of Setting Up a PICU WHere None Exists
• Bridging the Medical Divide-The Nigeria Experience
• International Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery: Expanding the Continuum of Care Global Health and Infectious Diseases:HIV, Hepatitis, and MDR Pathogens
• Equipped for Service: Resources for Medical Missions
According to the agenda, found on SIU's website (www.siumed.edu), at the conclusion of this year's conference, attendees should be able to "recall strategies to define the purpose of an international medical trip and maintain the scope of a trip, describe common legal/ethical/religious issues related to international medical trips and how to resolve them, identify the major impediments to quality medical care," and describe a host of other objectives. Faculty from SIU will be joined by guest presenters from the Orthopedic Center of Illinois, the University of Illinois Springfield, Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach and SIU School of Medicine Carbondale.
Continuing education credits are available during this conference and registration can be completed at www.siumed.edu/cpd.